Saturday, August 26, 2006

Secrets of Life: Darkside of the Moon Part I

By Kanrei

Today starts a new series, something for Thursdays I suppose. I realized I need to start this today seeing an almost complete lack of news again. I thought about what really interested me and what I had to offer and I realized it was time for my personal project to officially begin: no, not world domination...yet. That would just be a happy side effect. No, this one is something I have toyed with for a decade…my G-d I am old.

I have always believed that today’s songs and today’s movies are the same as history’s poems and plays. We study the great plays and poems to learn about ourselves, yet dismiss the current plays and poems as entertainment. This is folly.


This series will examine songs and movies from the last forty years to validate their deep eternal truths for all to see. Shakespeare is no deeper than Pink Floyd when searching for the meaning of life. It is everywhere if you just know where to look.

Some of my examples will appear ridiculous to you at first, but I ask you to read through before coming to a conclusion. I am crazy, but I am not insane. There is a method to my madness always. This stuff may seem obvious and you may wonder "why the hell is he doing this?" and the answer is because I have always wanted to. I am going to start off easy.


In 1973 Pink Floyd released the first in a string of concept albums called Dark Side of the Moon. While the others that followed (Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut) all had clear themes to them, Dark Side has always been kind of cloudy in its central theme. While it does appear to be about insanity, that is really not it. The album is much deeper than that. It is a lesson in life and priorities.



Because of the depth of this album, I will have to cover it in parts. Today will be part one AKA “Breathe/ On the Run”.


Breathe, breathe in the air.
Don't be afraid to care.
Leave but don't leave me.
Look around and choose your own ground.


Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.

This is not only the central theme to the album, but it is the central theme to life. You have a choice in life to "breathe in the air" or you can live in fear. “All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.” Life is made up of your experiences and, if you have none, you have no life. “Leave but don’t leave me. Look around and choose your own ground”: so many people think they must find complete themselves before they can be with another. You do not have to be alone to have your own life. Being with another can cause pain and sorrow, but “smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry” are what makes up life.

This is how to live your life. Most people do not follow that example. They build walls around themselves to protect their unstable emotions, never realizing they are only adding to their misery. Pink Floyd talks of them as well.


Run, rabbit run.
Dig that hole, forget the sun,
And when at last the work is done
Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.


The lesson is clear here to those who put work and success above all else. If you notice, the work never ends (And when at last the work is done/ Don't sit down it's time to dig another one), but your life does. Your life will be long and successful for as long as you are on top that wave, but every surfer falls sometime and as you balance “on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave”. You missed it all.

The song fades into a pseudo-instrumental named “On the Run”. While it appears to be random sounds and weird music, if you listen closely you notice it is a man running through a terminal late for a plane. He is rushing and running trying to catch the plane before it takes off. The music builds and surrounds his tunnel vision as all he thinks about is that plane. He gets to the gate right as it takes off and blows up. He was rushing to die. Ironic.
To Part II

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home